I probably won’t do this meme started by Breaking the Spine weekly, but I do like the idea of having a way to record and dig through books I am excited about. Because, let’s face it, I’ll be excited about a book one day, and forget that it came out until months later! And doing this, I remembered that Christopher Moore’s Secondhand Souls came out yesterday, which is a sequel I have been waiting on for NINE YEARS. It has definitely scored a place near the top of my reading list, so look out for the review soon!
Waiting Wednesday Presents:
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson, aka The Bloggess
Expected Release Date: September 22, 2015
Five years ago, I realized that the type of non-fiction I loved is written by women who embrace their awkward badass-ness. This list includes books by Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, and Jen Lancaster. Jenny Lawson’s first book Let’s Pretend This Never Happened had me laughing and so happy I never worked in human resources. I love anyone who can be real about their problems and instead of being embarrassed of her family, she uses them to define her life. Plus, a dad with taxidermy hobbies! I read the book in my book club and recommend it constantly. I don’t know if anyone has ever taken me up on it, but they TOTALLY SHOULD.
Her second novel is about her battle with mental illness (depression and anxiety), which I fully believe society should be talking about more. These are real illnesses, and we need to stop sweeping them under the rug. So why not read about them and laugh? Jenny Lawson promises the following stories within the novel:
- The time I lost both my arms in a sleeping accident
- The neighborhood swans that tried to eat me
- The day Australia refused to let me get Chlamydia even though I was wearing a protective koala costume
- Advice on how to survive the zombie apocalypse, the airport, and the zombie apocalypse at the airport
- Completely inappropriate things I’ve blurted out to fill awkward silences at my psychiatrist’s office.
Ms. Lawson, I hope to be able to make it to your book signing in Atlanta, and until then, I’ll keep reading your lovely blog posts.
Backup Waiting Wednesday Books:
- Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling
- Let Me Tell You by Shirley Jackson
- After Alice by Gregory Macguire
Leave a Reply